Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Am Every Stone in this Place of Stones




 This post will be split into two posts, or perhaps I will write a follow on post with more detail because I’d like to write about this morning, but the events of this afternoon I still need time to process before I can write productively about them.

the graffiti here has to be approved by local authorities
Rubble from different parts of the district
This morning however, we woke up quite early to drive over to the district six museum.  District six is a district from Cape Town that prior to apartheid was known for being a very multicultural and effective community.  When apartheid law began to be enforced the area was razed, and over a period of 15 years more than 60,000 people were forcibly removed from their homes and made to move to segregated areas of the city. 


rubble from the destruction of district 6 homes litters the whole district.  Much was left where it fell.








 
These forced moves, and the passbooks, which restricted the movements of Black and Coloured peoples, were some of the primary weapons used by the apartheid government in their systematic racism and oppression of South African people.  The stories and oral histories shared about the forced movements were truly horrifying, and parallels could easily be drawn between this injustice and some of forced evictions that occurred during the Nazi regime of WWII.

After touring the original district six area and the museum we began walking toward the greenmarket square to grab lunch and scope out the area.  On the way toward the square we encountered a march being held by the Muslim community of Cape Town over the recent deaths of four boys in the Gaza area.    Although I’m not intimately involved in the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict seeing all of these thousands of people flooding the streets of Cape Town to show support for their brothers and sisters was truly moving.  The passion that could be heard in their chanting, and the deep sadness that they feel over the conflict and oppression was obvious.
 




 In all my life I’ve never been to any protests or even seen anything as intense as the gathering of these people.  It was really quite moving, though it did make our advisors and some of the group quite understandably nervous.

After the protest had past we made our way to a market for lunch, and had a lovely meal all together discussing our day.  After lunch unfortunately I was robbed.  Honestly it’s my own fault.  Despite educating myself about the risks, common scams, and dangers present in South Africa I let my guard down, and using physical intimidation, and isolation two men did manage to take my debit card.  Rest assured that we immediately were able to close the card and I will be refunded the several hundred dollars in fraudulent charges that were made.  Also be aware that I am safe and unharmed and that the group I was with has been very supportive.  I’m sure the reason I was chosen as a mark was due to my size and obvious tourist status, and while I am still struggling to navigate the personal and practical difficulties associated with this incident I truly am well, and refuse from pure stubbornness perhaps to allow this to negatively impact my trip or my views on South Africa. 

Once again I’ve let it become quite late, so I’ll be heading to bed.  Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment