Thursday, July 17, 2014

When life is loud...


A model of the original slave lodge
Today we revisited the Slave Lodge since we were unable to actually visit it yesterday.  The slave lodge was very interesting and the stories included were truly heartbreaking, although many of the narratives echoed those familiar to students from the states who have studied the history of slavery and oppression.  Perhaps the most interesting exhibits in the museum were those describing the effect of music on the anti-apartheid struggles and the audio narratives of some of the women who participated in the anti-apartheid struggle.

After leaving the slave lodge museum we walked over for lunch at the same food market we ate at yesterday.  I’m really blown away by how inexpensive food here is.  For lunch I had a sandwich, a cup of pasta salad and a coke for 480 Rand (about $4.80).   Food here has consistently been incredibly affordable, although we really need to start eating more at the apartments instead of eating out. 

After lunch I wandered around the green market square to barter a bit, and found some really cute things.  I suppose I did alright and I’m happy with what I did find.

After everyone finished lunch we caught a ride back to the waterfront and toured the aquarium, which was at least interesting, and quite fun.  After getting dinner together we came back for the usual Wi-Fi party, where we decided what to do for our 67 minutes of service on Mandela day.  And that brings us up to right now. 

It’s crazy how fast the days go since we wake up so early and go to bed so late.  I’m still learning how to deal with the days really flying past.  For a change of pace tonight I’ll be going to bed early!  Wish me luck with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment