Saturday, July 12, 2014

Our first full day


So last night in a fit of optimism I promised Sophie (my roommate) I’d wake up early and we could go exploring.  So I don’t think I was justified in being depressed when I heard her rattling around the kitchen at 8:30, but still I was.  But I woke up, and we had what could generously be called “coffee” on the porch before setting off to explore the Tyger Waterfront complex.

"Coffee" This simply will not do.
 












Much, much better.
 The shopping complex was only a brief walk up the road, and was really quite interesting.  We managed to do a good deal of people watching and general scouting, and even managed to get some proper coffee before we had to come back to meet the group. 

Delicious tea.
 The eight of us walked over next-door and all sat down for lunch together and discussed our plans for the day, which primarily involved grocery shopping and buying phones for local use.  During lunch I was able to try the amazing rooibos tea, which I have to say was fabulous. 
Delicious chicken liver salad













Rooibos is native to South Africa
After lunch we did our grocery shopping and then trekked back to the shopping center to find phones (and proper coffee making equipment), which was also just quite the process.  Finally we all came back to our apartment for a wine and Wi-Fi party as the rest of the group still hasn’t gotten the Wi-Fi established in their rooms. 

Tannie Tandori pizza - tandori chicken, sweet chili sauce, rocket, and cream cheese.
We decided to head down to Long Street for dinner and some fun since it was a Saturday night, and we found a treasure trove of both.  Long Street has a hopping nightlife scene and the food at Sgt. Peppers was really quite great!  After dinner we wandered down to Fiction and all had a blast dancing. On the ride home everyone was just exhausted, and despite the no food, no drink, no sleeping rules of the groovy bus this happened:

 











It may not have been the most interesting day, but we all did get a chance to bond and see some new things!  Overall I would call it a success.  But once again I have to be up quite early, so I'm off to bed!!










No comments:

Post a Comment